Monday, August 8, 2011

Happy August!

I can't believe August is here already...

1. I got a tutoring job two weekends ago! I am (usually) happily driving to Newport Beach every morning at 8 AM to get to the house by 9 AM. I have learned so much from this job like 1. how much traffic SUCKS 2. the value of money (so cliche, I know... but also SO true) and 3. how to help people understand things. The girl I tutor/her family are incredible, super kind, and just altogether inspiring. To keep it simple, their actual house is in Malibu, this is just their vacation house..., her mom went to UC Berkeley for undergrad, USC's Marshall School of Business, and tried going back to UCLA for her PhD with two kids. Her dad went to Yale, is tall and white, runs triathlons, and comes down every weekend to Newport to hang out with his family. The girl I tutor is going into 7th grade and is going to take 8th grade math (aka Algebra 1) so I'm tutoring her in Algebra 1... something she hasn't even learned yet! It's crazy how gentle and obedient she is to sit down with me for three hours a day trying to grasp concepts she really hasn't learned yet... and she's been "previewing" subjects since... third grade. Yikes.

2. I got to treat my mom for birthday lunch at her favorite restaurant, Las Brisas, with my hard earned money... yay! My mom is incredible and I'm so glad I finally got to treat her for real!


3. I've been having lots of fun the past week - tutoring in the mornings, catching up with very old friends, and of course just spending time with the people I love. I am so happy with how my life is right now... but I'm also aware that it will be changing so much in about two weeks.

4. It's crazy... I'm leaving on August 18 at 11:50 PM!

5. I literally went to the beach 3 days in a row... Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I'm still not sick of beautiful California beaches and sun. :)

6. I've been cooking and (soon to be!) baking much more...

7. Waking up at 6 AM is invigorating... I'm glad tutoring forces me to get up early again. Working out early is a great start to every day.

1 comment:

  1. aww you and your mom look so good in that picture (:

    oh and you better watch out for that creepy sippin-on-water lady back there...

    ReplyDelete