Saturday, September 10, 2011

When people say that college goes by quickly... they aren't lying. I can't believe I've been here in Oxford, GA for 3 weeks already! That said, I hope the 11 weeks left to Thanksgiving will go by quickly too :)

Oxford is a really, really small, countryside town and as great as the environment is for studying, there is really not much to do around here. It also sucks that I don't have a car here... but I mean for entertainment, people go to... Walmart. -____- Which is what I did last weekend, so don't judge me!

It's scary how I see myself growing already though. Taking 2 philosophy classes is really tough because there is so much reading and this isn't the kind of reading that you can just read through and be done with. This is challenging for me because I'm not used to it but hopefully it'll get easier as time passes by. I already have a preference of Aristotle over Plato based on writing style! I never would have guessed that I would ever study the works of great philosophers...

It is wonderful to be able to study the things that you want to study. Sure, philosophy is really tough for me because I'm not used to abstract thinking... but I WANTED to take both of those classes (Philosophy of Religion and Introduction to Ethics, in case you were wondering). I really do wish I was taking a math class though so that it would ground me from all this abstractness... I like having one simple answer sometimes :)

I disappointed myself a little bit on my first Human Anatomy & Physiology test because I really felt like everything that was on the test was review from AP Bio... I was totally capable of getting 100%! But I know I didn't. -_-

As for my Child Development class... I am so excited that it is TPSL (Theory Practice Service Learning)! I get to spend 2 hours a week with kids from a local school and tutor! :) This class is also changing the way I think about kids (for people who know my intense dislike of babies, I'm being serious!)... maybe I just need to understand them better. Plus, not going to lie, the process of conception is beautiful. I just feel bad for all the mothers out there.. sheesh.

MWFs are great because I get to wake up and cycle. I love that because I really don't want Freshman 15 and I would love to stay in shape. The hours for our gym are wonky though... and the gym isn't great considering they have 3 small treadmills... I think I'd rather run outside.

I haven't started my work study yet but that will take up another 10 hours of my week every week. I'm excited though because working in the library seems really productive and fun. I'm also interested in becoming a Peer Health Educator (because you guys know how much I love being healthy!) and possibly being the middle person between SGA and RES... I'm not sure! I guess we'll see how things go.

I've been so blessed to find an amazing church called Journey Church of Atlanta here. I am so interested in strengthening my faith and spiritual life. It's a scary process because I realize how life-changing it can be for me... but I also know that this is what I want. I want to know my faith and know God and my Christian religion. Everyone that I know from this church is so friendly and welcoming and I can't wait to build biblical friendships with all of them.

As you can tell, college is super busy... so I'm almost glad that both my roommates are gone this weekend, leaving me with a whole triple to myself. I love my roommates and I think I've been blessed to have such sweet and considerate girls as my roommates (seriously! the Southern hospitality was so evident when Leanna invited me to go to the USC - University of South Carolina vs UGA (I think) game with her, her family, and her boyfriend) but I also feel like I needed some alone time. Not that my roommates are clingy or anything (they're not... at all! plus they're both in Omega Delta - a social club that I almost joined myself until I decided it wasn't really one of my priorities at this point) but it's just nice to have an entire day all to myself. I almost went to explore Atlanta with 2 guys from California today... but I think what I really wanted was a day to myself.

Life is good. Learning is good. College is good. I hope everyone is having an experience as lovely as mine or even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment