Monday, March 26, 2012

Leadership Oxford

First of all, I'd just like to say that encouragement goes a long way. Thanks, Abraham!


Anyways, I'm writing this 30 minutes before the start of my next class and I can't go into too many specifics because everything I did this weekend is supposed to be kept a secret but I think it's okay because I don't think anyone at Oxford knows about this blog.

Oxford is a school of 900 students and it's sad to say that I haven't seen every single face (or wouldn't be able to remember every single one at least) and I definitely haven't spoken to every person on campus before. But LO was a great experience for me because I got to talk to new people, realize for the 99999th time that people are so much more than what they seem on the outside, really truly (it's a cliche, I know) learn about what it means to be a leader through activities that are seemingly unrelated to leadership at all, and stretch outside of my comfort zone (hint: zip lining and a high ropes course were 2 things I thought I would never be willing to do). It was also great to learn how to trust people after literally a weekend... I mean, you kind of have to when people are lifting you up 7 feet and transporting you across to the other side of a net. And especially when you do a trust fall into the arms of your entire group.

However, I also feel like one thing that was difficult this weekend was thinking about how small my comfort zone is... I like feeling safe and secure, and I wish I could have more balls to do those things that make me nervous and that I've never done before. It is weird to realize that I'm 18 years young and there's so much I haven't experienced or tried because I think they're things I'm not supposed to do or not comfortable trying. Before, I think I always justified it by saying that there are some things that go against God's heavenly plan for me, but being so close to 60+ students for a weekend who share different ideals and beliefs than me is a little foundation shaking. Then again, maybe I should be a little bit more well grounded in what I believe?

I'm so glad that I tried out for LO, that I was selected to be a part of LO, and for this entire weekend. God has really blessed me with some personal challenges, but all I can do is be grateful for experiences that change my perspective and make me look long and hard at the person that I am and the things that I believe. New friends, new experiences, and new introspections... I don't get that every weekend - but now I'm thinking that maybe I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment